When the holidays are over, it's time to put away the holiday decorations and store them for another year. A good closet storage and organization system can help to prevent areas of disarray, and perhaps you already have a customized storage area constructed in your garage.
Regardless, make note of the following tips on how to store your holiday decorations.
- It's important to store your items in a way that keeps them free of dirt, dust, and bugs. Sturdy plastic boxes are great for protecting your items and stacking the boxes. You might also consider storing your items in bags that can be hung from the wall.
- Delicate items, such as candles and handmade ornaments, should be stored in a climate-controlled space. If ornaments are made with natural materials, such as paper or dried pasta, they should be stored in airtight containers. This will help to prevent bugs and other pests.
- Using clear containers for storage makes it easy to see what is in each one. You can also label the containers with the contents of each one.
- Make sure to use dividers to store ornaments that are fragile. Bubble-wrapping them provides extra protection.
- Wrap your garland and lights around spools so that they don't get tangled.
- Wrapping paper is best stored under your bed or in a closet to help protect it from dust. Store scissors, tape, and ribbons with the wrapping paper, and you will be ready to wrap gifts next year.
- Consider storing your decorations by category to make both decorating and cleanup easier each year.