A well-designed and organized master closet adds value to your home and represents your personality and style. However, designing a custom closet requires careful organization and planning and a significant investment of time and financial resources.
So, where do you start? Whether you're looking for open closet ideas, closet cabinet designs, or the perfect master closet organization, it all begins with a careful and comprehensive layout. This article will share expert tips for designing the ideal custom closet to suit your unique needs. Let's get started.
Hire a Qualified Custom Closet Designer—Or Design the Closet Yourself
Leaving it to the professionals is typically a wise move, and custom closet design is no exception. Custom closet design consultants combine their spatial planning, organization, and interior design expertise to create functional, visually appealing, and personalized closet storage system and closet solutions that meet each client's unique needs.
It can be highly satisfying to produce a personalized product…well, personally. If you have a creative flare and a handle on practical concerns, like correctly measuring the space and sketching the layout, you can oversee the whole process yourself. And if you get into difficulty, you can contact a professional closet designer or use online design tools provided by closet organizing companies.
Choose a Design
Designing a custom closet involves several steps to ensure it meets your needs and maximizes the space. Here's a general guide to help you design a custom closet:
- Assess Your Needs: It's always important to evaluate the status quo and to determine where it falls short of your expectations. What purpose do you need the closet to serve? What clothes, shoes, accessories, and other items will you store in the closet? Starting with a vision—and a budget—will set you off on the right foot.
- Measure and Optimize the Space: Whether you're designing a closet cabinet, a walk-in, or a small bedroom closet, you'll need to start by measuring the space's dimensions and deciding how best to use it. Note the closet space's height, width, and depth, and consider any obstructions, such as windows, doors, or vents. To maximize your closet space, incorporate smart storage solutions like adjusting shelves and double-hanging rods.
- Select Materials and Choose Storage Components: Following the previous points, decide what storage solutions most suit your needs. For example, consider whether you're best served by the basics like hanging rods, shelves, drawers, and shoe racks or if you also require specialty organizers like tie racks or jewelry trays. One aspect of this step is choosing the color schemes and visual orientations you find most appealing.
- Plan the Layout: Create the layout of your closet. Divide the space into different zones for various items, such as hanging clothes, folded clothes, accessories, and shoes. Determine the most efficient arrangement for your needs, considering how frequently you access different items—i.e., place the most used items in close reach while relegating rarely worn clothes to the back.
- Review and Revise: When your custom closet is under construction, it may be too late to fix any mistakes or alter your layout design. Avoid that regrettable scenario by assessing your preliminary design and making necessary adjustments. This is also the perfect time to ensure your layout falls within budget limits and other practical concerns like accessibility and lighting.
Designing the perfect custom closet can be daunting, but you don't have to go alone. If you're overwhelmed, consider hiring a professional custom closet design company like Artisan Custom Closets. We specialize in creating industry-leading custom storage solutions tailored to your specific lifestyle, storage needs, and budget. Our team of closet design experts will work with you to design a functional and stylish closet, and we'll even do all the heavy lifting for you.
So, if you're ready to take your closet to the next level, contact us today for a free consultation. We'll gladly answer any queries you have and assist you in creating your ideal closet.